Hardship Application

If your license has been suspended and you had a valid Oregon Driver’s License at the time of your suspension, you may be able to apply for a Hardship Permit through the Oregon DMV. There is typically a mandatory waiting period before you can obtain a hardship permit. This waiting period can range from 30 days to as long as three years. Hardship permits are not typically granted if you have on out of state license at the time that you are suspended. In addition, Oregon no longer issue hardship or probationary Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) permits.

For some suspensions of driving privileges you may be able to get a hardship permit that allows for driving privileges to:

  • Go to and from work;
  • Drive on the job;
  • Seek employment;
  • Take part in an alcohol or drug rehabilitation program; or
  • Get medical treatment required on a regular basis.

One of the requirements to receive a hardship permit is to obtain an SR-22 certificate of liability insurance. This could potentially have a negative impact on your insurance rates.

An SR-22 is a certificate from an insurance company licensed in Oregon that certifies that you have purchased liability insurance that meets the minimum required coverage limits. Oregon's minimum coverage limits are: $25,000 to cover bodily injury to or death of any one person in any one motor vehicle accident; and, $50,000 to cover two or more persons; and $10,000 to cover property damages.

Below is a link to the DMV Hardship Permit Application. On the 2nd page of the application is the DMV phone number - they are very helpful, so if you have questions when filling out the form, give them a call.

Contact Us
Free Consultation (503) 223-3422